In her book Kids Say the Cutest Things About Moms Dandi Daley MacKall asks children questions about their mothers, and then she records their answers. Here are some examples:
· Why did God make mothers? “Think about it. It was the best way to get more people.”
· What ingredients are mothers made of? “God makes mothers out of clouds and angel
hair and everything nice in the world—and one dab of mean.”
· What kind of little girl was your mom? “They say she used to be nice.”
· How did your mom meet your dad? “Mom was working in a store and dad was
· What’s the difference between moms and grandmas? “You can always count on grandmothers for candy. Sometimes
moms don’t even have bread on them!”
· Is anything about your mom perfect? “Just her children.”
Mother’s Day is upon us and if you haven’t thought about what you’re going to do for mom and the women who make your life better, you may be looking for gift ideas. Jewelry, flowers, and cards are wonderful gifts for moms to receive, but in addition to those traditional gifts, perhaps consider some non-traditional gifts that every mom needs. No matter whether it’s a mom with small kids or a mom who now has grandchildren—or even a woman you’re not related to, but she made a big difference in your life—here are some gift ideas from the heart that will mean a lot.
Appreciation: Although gratitude is often felt in the heart, it doesn’t become “thank you” until it is spoken with words. Speak appreciation out loud or in writing.
Encouragement: We give encouragement when we communicate value for the job they do. Phrases that bring encouragement include: “What you do for our family is so important” and “I love the way you care for our family.”
Help: Help around the house or the yard is always appreciated—cleaning, shopping, or vacuuming. If younger kids are still in the picture, help with the kids would be appreciated.
Time: Time is greatly appreciated when given. Maybe your mom needs a visit or a phone call. Maybe you could take her to dinner. Maybe a mom needs time alone from the kids and the daily routine.
So what are you getting for mom or the special woman in your life this Mother’s Day? The gifts you can’t buy at the store may be the most important ones you will give.
Blessings to you,