It’s the beginning of another school year, and it reminds me that our learning is never done. Psalm 19:1-2 says, The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.” In Acts 17:11 we read about a group of godly folk who studied the Bible regularly: Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. And Proverbs 12:15 reminds us that we can learn a lot from other people: The wise listen to advice.
With all of that in mind, here are 20 tips of everyday wisdom from cowboys:
1. Never squat with your spurs on!
2. Never kick a fresh cow chip on a hot day.
3. There's two theories to arguin' with a woman....Neither one works.
4. Don't worry about bitin' off more than you can chew. Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger than you think.
5. If you get to thinkin' you're a person of influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
6. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
7. If you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
8. Never smack a man who's chewin' tobacco.
9. It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep.
10. Never ask a barber if he thinks you need a haircut.
11. Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
12. Always drink upstream from the herd.
13. Never drop your gun to hug a grizzly.
14. If you're ridin' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.
15. When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.
16. When you're throwin' your weight around, be ready to have it thrown around by somebody else.
17. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back.
18. Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was.
19. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.
20. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
Here’s a proverb from Yours Truly: “You’re never so smart about the Bible or know so much about God that there isn’t something new to learn about both…so go to church and study the Bible with other faithful believers.” Just sayin’.